CofC Logo

International Students Working On-Campus

back to On-Campus Part-Time Job

back to Resources for On-Campus Employers

Students who are not citizens of the United States are eligible to work on-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week during periods of enrollment and a maximum of 40 hours per week during periods of non-enrollment such as spring break and summer vacations. Students employed by more than one department should note that total hours per week is the total amount of hours worked at all jobs.

Proper Documentation

All students employed on campus must first be offered a position. A hire form must be submitted by the hiring supervisor. The following documentation is required for an international student to work on campus:

  • Social security number issued by the Social Security Administration*
  • Valid F1 or J1 visa
  • INS Form I-20
  • IRS Form W-4 or 8233

The above information will be reviewed at a New Student Employee Orientation prior to commencing employment. Students have the option of completing either the W-4 or 8233 and may be asked to provide both. College of Charleston employees are not able to provide assistance with the completion of tax documents. For more information on completing IRS Form W-4 or 8233, refer students to the IRS' website

*The student MUST have applied for a US Social Security Number that allows them to work in the U.S. Refer the student to the Center for International Education's website for information on how to obtain a SS card. 


All internationals are issued a visa from their home country. The INS allows two types of visa holders to gain on-campus, part-time employment - F1 or J1. While most students have one of these, some do not. No exceptions or variations will be made. Students may also submit INS Form I-20 to complement their visa. All student visas expire. Their employment may not exceed the expiration date. 

Filing Tax Returns

Federal regulations deem it illegal for employees of the College of Charleston to provide tax advice and/or assistance. Assistance for filing tax returns for international employees is available through the Charleston County Public Library during tax season (January - April) or VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program).