CofC Logo


Information for students seeking on-campus employment

Finding a Job: Handshake

On-campus positions may be found on Handshake or by contacting the department directly. There are a variety of on-campus opportunities including Non-Work Study, Federal Work Study, Community Service Federal Work Study, and Graduate Assistantships. For more information about these types of positions, click here. To view available job opportunities, log into Handshake.

You received an offer! Now what?

All student employees must attend a one-time New Student Employee Orientation in the Career Center before they may begin working. Upon receipt of your Hire Form, a student employment staff member will send you an email inviting you to register for an orientation (see dates below). Print and complete the following documents and bring them with you to the orientation. 

1. Form I-9

This form must be accompanied by ORIGINAL identification documents of your choosing. See page 3 for a list of acceptable documents. No copies will be accepted. 
2. Form W-4             Consult a parent, legal guardian, or tax professional for assistance completing this form. We are unable to advise you on how to complete this form. 

3. Direct Deposit Agreement

This form must be accompanied by a voided check or direct deposit form from your bank.
4. ACA Acknowledgement   Please read the entire document. You are only required to print and complete page 4. 
5. Notice of Non-Discrimination Please read the entire document, then sign and date it. 

Register for the session below that works with your schedule. If the session is full, select another session or call us at 843.953.5692 to schedule a one-on-one orientation. Orientations generally last 20-30 minutes, so plan accordingly. All orientations are held in the Career Center (Lightsey Bldg, Room 216).



Frequently Asked Questions

When will I be paid?

Employees are paid on the 15th and the last day of the month, unless the 15th or last day of the month falls on a weekend or holiday, in which case employees will be paid the last business day prior to the weekend or holiday.

How will I be paid?

Employees may elect to have their paychecks issued via direct deposit to a checking or savings account or to a Visa CashPay Card administered by the Bank of America. For more information about the Visa CashPay Card, click here

What If I don't get paid?

Notify your supervisor. 

How do I update my bank account information? 

Complete a new Direct Deposit Agreement and turn it in to the Career Center along with a voided check or direct deposit form from your bank.

I never received my Visa CashPay Card. What do I do? 

Contact Bank of America. Their toll free number is 1.866.213.4074.

How do I access my pay stub?

Employees may access their pay stubs from the 'Employee' tab of MyCharleston.

How do I access my W-2? 

Employees who have consented to receive their W-2 electronically may access it from the 'Employee' tab of MyCharleston. Former student employees who no longer have access to MyCharleston may request a copy of their W-2 from Budgeting and Payroll Services. Employees who do not consent to receive their W-2 electronically will receive a hard copy in the mail. 

How do I make changes to my W-4?

Complete a new Form W-4 and turn it in to the Career Center.

How do I access my timesheet?

Employees may access their timesheet from the 'Employee' tab in MyCharleston.

When are timesheets due?

Timesheets are due on the 16th and the 1st of every month.

What if I made an error on my timesheet?

Notify your supervisor, so they can return it to you for corrections.

What if I don't have a timesheet available?

If it has been more than 3 business days since you started working, notify your supervisor. 

What if there aren't enough days on my timesheet?

Notify your supervisor. 

What if I fail to submit my timesheet by the due date? 

You will need to request a paper timesheet from Budgeting and Payroll Services. 

Have questions? Contact a member of Student Employment at 843.953.5692 or